Why Focus Personal Fitness?
Because we’re not a typical gym. We believe that fitness, health and wellness are essential for a balanced body and mind. We believe in teamwork, and in achieving your goals safely and effectively all within a uniquely designed fitness studio space.
Focus Personal Fitness is different, just like our members. Your customized training program is far from a prepackaged solution. Each of your personal training sessions is tailored to your individual needs, whether you are just getting started on your journey, require specialized programming to aid in rehabilitation, or are an elite athlete who wants to achieve the next level of success.
We want you to succeed. Our trainers will work with you to design a flexible fitness program that works with your schedule and budget, ensuring you have accountability to achieve your goals.
Randy Zabukovec, Owner
• Masters of Physical Education from Memorial University
• Hons degree in Physical Education from Wilfred Laurier University
• Certified Exercise Physiologist (CEP) from the Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology
• Certified High Performance Athletics Coach – Distance Running
• Certified Intro to Competition - Triathlon
• Certified NCCP coaching in distance running, triathlon, cycling, swimming and soccer
• Professor, St. Lawrence College – Specialization in Bonified Occupational Requirements for Law Enforcement
• Certified Defensive Tactics Instructor
• 1st Dan Black belt in TaeKwonDo
• Head coach for the St. Lawrence College Cross Country Team since 2000, helping athletes win 4 Ontario Gold medal championships, 1 National gold and 1 National silver
• 25+years training/coaching individuals with a wide variety of goals and interest in sport, fitness and health.
PHILOSOPHY: The ability to be healthy and fit involves the balance of your physical, mental and emotional states. Being healthy and fit is a constant challenge as it is not a stationary target. Our daily actions influence our level of fitness and health. Constant and consistent training improves our ability to achieve a state of balance where health and fitness are at optimum levels. My goal is to provide the environment, resources and support for you to achieve your optimum balance of health and fitness.
I have had the fortunate ability to work with a wide variety of individuals from youth to seniors and age group athletes to elite athletes. What continues to motivate me to share, teach and lead are those who are in pursuit of improving their individual fitness and health.
Hope Leyenhorst, Office Manager
PHILOSOPHY: Strive for balance.
Being fit and healthy has been a primary focus for me for over thirty years. I continue to strive for a balance between work, family, healthy eating and overall wellness. Being part of the Focus team will allow me to continue to further my own commitment to overall health and wellness but more so encourage, support and motivate others to do the same.
As a wife to husband Ron, and mother to Meredith and Eliot, I understand the challenges we all face in balancing life’s responsibilities with maintaining our own health and wellness. After working for Empire Life for 31 years I am thankful and excited to be in an environment where I can relate my own experiences to help make a difference in others peoples lives.
My goal is to make your experience at Focus a positive one from the moment you step through the door.
Tracey Kennedy, Group Session Instructor
- Canfitpro Group Fitness Instructor
- CPR and First Aid certified
PHILOSOPHY: Fitness, nutrition and a healthy body are key to a balanced lifestyle.
The year that I turned 30, I made a decision to change my lifestyle. I wanted to lose 30 pounds and become a more active person. The ten years that have followed have been an incredible journey of self-discovery. Not only did I reach my goal, I felt compelled to help others. I became a certified fitness instructor with Canfitpro and began teaching step classes, strength and muscle conditioning, yoga and stretch, low impact aerobics, and stability ball classes.
I have realized how much you can do if you really set your mind to reaching a goal. Fitness, nutrition, and health of the whole body are key elements in my new life. I hope that I am able to assist my clients and participants in understanding how they can add these key points to their lives and reach their goals.
Karen Brant, Personal Trainer
- Canfitpro Personal Trainer Specialist
- Canfitpro Fitness Specialist
- YMCA - Fitness Specialist Certification
- 15 years certified Fitness Instructor – teaching for the city of Toronto and mentoring fitness instructors
PHILOSOPHY: Live a Fit Life, Live a Healthy Life
Fitness is the key to maintaining a healthy lifestyle. As a personal trainer and fitness instructor I strive to bring out the best in my clients. To accomplish this, I work with my clients, understanding their needs, goals and addressing their limitations. A ‘team’ approach works well as we develop a program that is right for the client.
Monitoring, adapting, and improving, all create a safe and productive fitness program. I believe that my strength as a fitness coach is that I ensure success through motivation. We have fun! My clients will stick to their program because they enjoy it, they helped design it, and they get results.
My specialties include strength training for all fitness levels, which includes group fitness, weight training, and individual client sessions.
Laura Breck, Personal Trainer
- National Strength and Conditioning Association Certified Personal Trainer (NSCA-CPT)
- Canfitpro Fitness Instructor Specialist
- Canfitpro Personal Trainer
- Scottish Dance Teachers Alliance Associate Teacher's Certificates for Highland and National
PHILOSOPHY: If you change nothing, nothing will change.
I love watching the transformation as new clients find ways to challenge themselves to change their lives through fitness, nutrition and finding time to put themselves first! Whatever my client’s needs are, I've done it all. I design programs that are client specific and have worked with both children and adults to teach them the basics and help them start living a healthy lifestyle.
I enjoy giving intense workouts that are time efficient and allow clients to push themselves – they can enjoy their rest days knowing that their bodies have worked hard and have earned it. I also enjoy working with small and large group training and especially being a bootcamp instructor, which allows each participant to challenge themselves with new exercises.
Ben Robinson, Personal Trainer
- Fitness and Health Promotion Diploma (St. Lawrence College)
- Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology - Certified Personal Trainer (CSEP-CPT)
- Ontario Fitness Council - Personal Trainer, Group Fitness Trainer, Older Adult Fitness Trainer
- National Coaching Certification Program - Fundamental Movement, Competitive Level A & B Coach
- Functional Movement Systems Certification - Functional Movement Screen - Level 1
- Functional Range Conditioning - Mobility Specialist
- Precision Nutrition - Level One Nutrition Coach
- Osteoporosis Canada - Bonefit Trained
- First Aid/CPR
PHILOSOPHY: By consistently developing and refining our foundation of fundamental movements, we can accomplish incredible things without risking injury or wearing our bodies down.
I have worked with clients of all ages and ability levels, helping them reach a variety of goals. My experience ranges from working with youth sports teams, seniors with osteoporosis, adult competitive rock climbers, and anybody in between. Each client receives a program specifically designed to meet their individual needs based on consistent and thorough mobility and strength screening.
I have helped clients resolve mobility issues, return to sport and activity after injuries, balance the asymmetries brought on by different sports and activities and dramatically increase strength, coordination, balance and technical skills.
Ron Leyenhorst, Personal Trainer
Ron Leyenhorst, Personal Trainer
- Certified Police Fitness Appraisers
- Certified Fitness Consultant
- NCCP Introduction to Competition - Training Basics
- Certified Basic Cycling Skills – Competitive Cycling Coaching
- CertifiedCanBike Instructor
- Certified Mountain Bike Patrol Techniques
- Certified Use of Force Trainer
- Certified Emergency First Aid/CPR AED Provider
- Certified Crisis Negotiator
- Certified Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training
- Gold medal winner in Mountain Bike competition 2015 and 2013 at World Police Fire games
Ron retired in 2015 after almost 32 years as a Kingston City Police Officer. For 27 years, he maintained the Police fitness room as well as the defensive tactics room,that is also utilized for cross fit classes. Ron was involved in Training Police Officers at KPF, and believes that Kingston has the fittest police officers in the province. Throughout his career Ron was involved in Special Olympics and the annual Police Memorial run and bicycle ride.
Ron has always been involved in some aspect of fitness and has looked for experiences that push him physically. For the past 15 years he has competed in mountain bike races, and the past 7 years in road bike races. In the summer of 2013 with Randy Zabukovec’s coaching, Ron had the mountain bike race of his life at the World Police Fire games in Ireland, and came home with a gold medal and memories of a great experience contending against Europeans in a very competitive environment.
Another of Ron's favourite races was at the WPFG in New York City where he competed in the road bike race consisting of 4 laps of Central Park. Ron enjoyed the challenge of competing against a serious and experienced group in an awesome setting.
Ron enjoys helping others including assisting in meeting fitness goals through motivation, instruction, effort and sharing of experiences. He believe in functional training exercises that are beneficial to health, sports and everyday life. The atmosphere and equipment at Focus help provide the tools to allow you to succeed in your fitness and health goals.
Locryn Leizour, Personal Trainer
Training is a process - it starts at your current level of capability, and leads to a level of increased performance. Training has a purpose - it involves applying carefully chosen exercises in order to stimulate the desired physical adaptations. Training is clearly necessary for athletes, but is also the best method to improve fitness for the tasks of everyday life.
EXPERIENCE & CREDENTIALS:
A section of my clientele is competitive and recreational athletes, from a variety of sports including soccer, volleyball, triathlon, and fitness modeling. For all my athletes, I design long-term programs for physical preparation and provide training in either team, group, or individual settings. In addition, I offer movement screening, assessments, and sports nutrition guidance. My personal training clients vary widely in age, fitness level, and exercise experience. By applying similar principles to when training athletes, we’ll start where you are and follow a logical path toward your fitness goals. My aim is that our training together feels enjoyable and non-intimidating, and supports you toward a lifetime of consistent physical activity.
- National Strength and Conditioning Association Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (NSCA-CSCS)
- International Society of Sports Nutrition Certified Sports Nutritionist (CISSN)
- Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology Certified Personal Trainer (CSEP-CPT)
- Athletes Acceleration Complete Speed Training
- Functional Movement Systems Y Balance Test
- Tutor, St. Lawrence College – Fitness and Health Promotion
- Assistant Coach – RMC Varsity Men’s Soccer (Strength and Conditioning)
- Most sports, especially soccer and basketball
- Sports science research
- Archaeology of European prehistory
Jillian Botting, Pilates Instructor
- Body Balance University – Level 1 Certified Pilates Instructor and Level 1 Reformer
- Certified Instructor in the Stott Pilates method – Mat and Reformer Essential, Intermediate, and Advanced certification
- Cadillac, chairs, and barrels - Essential, Intermediate and Advanced certification
- Injury and special population
- Over 10 years of ballet experience
- Certified lifeguard and swim instructor
I believe that mind control is necessary for muscle control. My favourite thing about teaching Pilates is the feedback I get from my clients when their session is done. They feel stronger, taller, and leaner. Not only does Pilates strengthen the muscles around the bones and joints, and eliminate back pain, it also helps to improve posture and prevent injury.
With over 10 years of training I am able to work with anyone! I have helped a wide range of clients, from those with specialized physical limitations and injuries, all the way to dancers and athletes. I also have experience in the pre and postnatal field.
When teaching in a group I am able to correct each individual, while maintaining class flow. I tailor one-on-one sessions to the client’s individual needs and goals. It is my aim to ensure the exercises are done correctly. This gives my clients more body awareness, which helps allow them to exercise properly on their own.
Practicing Pilates, running, swimming, yoga, skiing, traveling, and spending time my family.