Because we believe that fitness, health, and wellness are essential for a balanced body and mind, Focus Personal Fitness is pleased to offer massage therapy, cupping, and dynamic tape services. With private offices located in Focus Personal Fitness Studio, the registered massage therapists at Health In Focus share our vision of a community full of healthy individuals with the ability to enjoy all of the physical and emotional possibilities of life.
Jessica Ryan, Registered Massage Therapist
Life is about change and growth, to me, that means improved health is about consistent learning. I believe the best I can do for my clients is to reinforce our sessions by providing tools that will help them create change in their daily lives. I am committed to working alongside my clients to develop a healthier balanced life!
I became passionate about learning and sharing knowledge while completing my 200-hour yoga teacher training in Baja, Mexico. The experience inspired me to become a massage therapist, so I could help people develop better movement and understanding of their own bodies.
As a massage therapist, my intentions are to educate and support individuals of all ages in achieving their health and wellness goals. I make use of both assessment and current research to improve function based on both a client’s current level of mobility and what they need to reach their rehabilitation and fitness objectives.
EXPERIENCE & CREDENTIALS:
- Registered Massage Therapist in good standing with the College of Massage Therapists of Ontario
- Massage Therapy Diploma with Honours from Trillium College
- Certified Functional Range Conditioning Mobility Specialist
- Certified K-Taping Therapist
- Completion of a Cupping Therapy course
- Completion of Female Core and Pelvic Floor Seminar through Functional Synergy
- 200-hour Yoga Teacher Training from Yandara Yoga Institute
Jessica is now accepting new clients from the Focus community!
Book your session today!
30 minute – $56+HST
45 minute – $70+HST
60 minute – $90+HST
75 minute – $110+HST
90 minute – $125+HST
Jocelyn Poirier, Mental Performance Consultant
I believe everyone has the capacity for growth and that high performance and well-being can co-exist. I believe that optimistic, yet realistic perspectives allow individuals to define and strive for success in a healthy way. I strive to empower others to reach their goals through a positive, collaborative holistic and intentional counseling style. I work proactively to increase awareness and understanding and create sustainable, individual solutions. I value well-being, meaningful relationships, equality, respect, learning and perspective.
I have worked with individuals and groups of all ages from a variety of performance backgrounds and experience levels. Regardless of their differences my clients all share a pursuit of excellence. I work with clients to develop mental skills and strategies to help them consistently perform at and feel their best, whether that is in the classroom, the boardroom, a sport venue, or just at home. I help individuals and groups develop positive living skill, learn to control their performance using mental skills, and reach their potential for mental and physical health and well-being.
EXPERIENCE & CREDENTIALS:
- BPHE and BA (Psychology_ – Queen’s University
- MHK Intervention and Consultation – University of Ottawa
- Canadian Sport Psychology Association Professional Member
- Mental Performance Consultant
- Shooting Federation of Canada (Toronto 2015 Pan Am Games; 2016 ISSF Rio World Cup)
- Various Teams and athletes at secondary and post-secondary level in rugby, basketball, volleyball, soccer, rowing, field hockey, ice hockey, figure skating, and sailing.
- Provincial and Regional representative rugby teams
Rugby, Reading, Cooking, Puzzles, time with friends and family, outdoor activities.
Keith Beavers, Registered Physiotherapist
When you are injured, the impact on your life is not just physical, but can prevent participation in important areas of your life – such as your job or sport. Without a comprehensive plan for rehabilitation it can be challenging to find a way back to health and activity. It was the dedication, patience, and skill of my team physiotherapist that ultimately allowed me to compete and achieve my goal of swimming in an Olympic final. This experience was the inspiration for my decision to pursue a career helping others to overcome their own physical limitations and achieve their own goals. My unique academic background, clinical experience, and life experience give me a distinct perspective on injury and rehabilitation, particularly with athletes, as well as the impact physiotherapy can have upon my clients’ everyday lives. I use evidence-based practice to optimize physical function and return people to healthy lifestyles and the activities that are meaningful to them.
EXPERIENCE & CREDENTIALS:
- Master of Science in Physical Therapy – Queen’s University, 2013
- Master of Science in Kinesiology (Physiology) – University of Waterloo, 2009
- Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology – University of Waterloo, 2006
- Level II Manual Therapist
- Experienced with McKenzie MDT, Mulligan Concept, Acupuncture/Dry needling, Pain Science, Taping
- Two-time Olympian and Olympic Finalist
Brent Helmstaedt, Chiropractor
My professional focus is on helping clients better appreciate the relationship between their bodies structure and function. Through evidence based, hands on, Chiropractic care, I am committed to helping people achieve the structural components of a truly wellness-oriented lifestyle. By fostering proper movement, posture, function and understanding, everyone can better realize their potential. For each of us there is a particular combination of activities and habits that can keep us healthy and happy for a lifetime. It is my goal to help individuals grow their understanding and appreciation for their own physiology and coach them towards continual improvement, so as to better zero in on the best version of themselves.
A deep appreciation for the concepts of wellness grew organically from my roots as a competitive swimmer. Pursuing an athletic career led me to the University of Calgary where I completed a Bachelors of Physical Education, while training and competing with one of the top swim programs in the country. My chosen sport is very much a technique driven one, and it helped breath real world understanding and experience into the biomechanics and physiology I studied. Upon returning to Kingston I began coaching age group, varsity and masters level swimmers, which helped me appreciate the variety of approaches it takes to work successfully with people of differing ages and backgrounds. It was at this time as a Chiropractic patient that I began to fully appreciate how the field fit seamlessly with my background and experience. After 4 years at the Canadian Memorial Chiropractic College in Toronto, I returned once again to Kingston to set up my practice. As the competitive phase of my life tapered off, the strength in the water it had developed transitioned nicely to my discovery of Kiteboarding. With Kiting as the cornerstone of my current athletic pursuits, I strive to balance, family and career with fun and fitness. I feel fortunate to have found a combination of factors that are both challenging and fulfilling. Through my practice at Focus I hope to help others find their own combination to wellness success.
EXPERIENCE & CREDENTIALS:
- Head Coach of the Kingston Blue Marlin swim club 1996-1998
- Head Coach of the Queen’s University Varsity Swim Team 1996-1998
- Co-Head Coach of the Kingston Masters Aquatic Club 1996-1998
- OUA Men’s Swim Coach of the year 1998
- Bachelor of Physical Education from the University of Calgary 1995
- Doctorate of Chiropractic from the Canadian Memorial Chiropractic College 2003
- Certified myofascial release training with Myofascial Mobility Systems Inc. 2014
- Certified Kinesiology Taping from Integrated Training Institute 2014
- Owner/Operator of the Amherstview Family Chiropractic and Massage clinic 2005-present